+ Reply to Thread

Default New Home Leaky Roof

We recently purchased a new home and discovered that we have a leaky roof in the garage and the bathrooms. Mold in currently forming in the garage. The home is currently under warranty. We have contacted the builders and they are addressing the issue. The indicated that they will repair the leaky roof and replace the drywall. However, should we “trust” the builders to fix the problem with the leaky roof, mold and replacing the drywall? Also, once the issues are fix, should be have someone inspection the repairs to including checking the mold and air quality? Any guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Smile Re: New Home Leaky Roof

I am not a contractor or builder but have had to deal with many contractors in my job as a landlord. Based on experiences I have had I would say that you should work out a deal with the builder if you feel you might not be satisfied with their work. Have it in writing that you both agree to have a third party of your mutual choosing either perform the work or inspect their work afterwords to see that the environment in your home is a safe one without any mold left. After all some molds can be quite deadly if you are exposed to them long enough.
    I certainly don't blame you either for wanting some kind of third party to look things over since your builder obviously made a mistake in how your roof was put on. In a way too you are lucky as I have heard of one national builder whom I will not name here having electrical wires run up a chimney chase. Something quite foolish indeed and very dangerous. I wish you good luck!