+ Reply to Thread

Default rusted bolts on tank

Have a tank bolted on with round heads that require flat head screw driver to remove. The nuts and bolts are rusted together and turning only strips the bolt heads. Any ideas on best way to remove these?

Default Re: rusted bolts on tank

Go to the hardware store and buy some Liquid Wrench. Put it on liberally and wait for a few minutes. Should loosen the bolts enough to unscrew. If not, give them another dose and wait several hours and try again.

If this doesn't work, go to the HD or other hardware store and buy a damaged screw removal tool (can't remember the specific name). Basically it is a set of bits that will re-tap the screw head and another bit that fits this re-tap that allows you to take the bolts out.

Good luck! Tim

Fastest and easiest way is to cut them off. Use a keyhole saw or hacksaw blade with tape wrapped around one end to make a handle, then cut through the rubber washer inside the tank. If you can access the bottom of the toilet flange more easily, you can cut the bolts there. You could probably use a rotary tool with a burring bit to remove the head as well. Wear safety gear.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If the bolts are real rusted sometimes they can easily be broken off with a pair of vise-grips by rocking the bolt/nut end back and forth.
    If you try liquid wrench, let it set for a day or more. keep reapplying. Heat with a torch to break the bond between the nut & bolt. Be careful the LW may be flammable.
    I've also cut an additional slot in the head with a hack saw when the original slot got too chewed up. Use a large screwdriver that fills the slot.
    It all depends on the situation.

Good calls, guys! It must have been early -- I wasn't even thinking toilet tank! Not sure LW would be the preferred method here!

Good luck. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TRLambert View Post
    I wasn't even thinking toilet tank!
    Me neither. I was thinking some big old steel tank.

LOL That's funny! You guys were reading a storage tank of some kind and I was reading toilet tank. I went back to the OP's post and there really isn't any way to determine what he was talking about. My guess, by the description of flat head screws that it's a toilet tank, but your guess is as good as mine!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!