+ Reply to Thread

Default sewage smell from bathroom sink

The last few months, i've noticed a strong sewage smell coming from my bathroom sink. i live in a house built in 1924 - ranch with one bathroom. it seems to happen whenever you run the water - you especially notice it at night when brushing your teeth! have had some plumbling problems - saggy pipes in basement caused backup in bathroom/kitchen of kitchen waste. but it's been fixed and haven't had a problem in 4 years.
    any advice on what could be causing it and a cheap easy DIY solution?
    thanks!

Default Re: sewage smell from bathroom sink

I am having the same problem except my bathroom was redone to a double sink last year with the pex tubing and the sewer smell only comes from one side my wife's sink. so I really need to get it fixed soon. Ive tried turning off water to her sink to see if the smell goes to mine but it did not. So I need help to please someone help us. Thank you

Ive talked to a plumber or (should I say my wife has) and know my stinky smell is gone. Apparently there is some kind of metal that reacts to water and gives out that rotten egg smell and it has to be traced down to find it. He said to take the handle off the faucet and the in side valve unhook supply line from faucet blow air down hole of faucet wait 24 hours take supply line with bucket turn on and smell if it don't stink its the faucet and has to be replaced mine still stank so i took line off waited and then turned shut off vale on and it did not stink so i replace the supply line and have had no problem. just trace it down that way he said it may be the pex line to but i didn't have to go that far.

Does the smell come from the hot water, cold water, or both?
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

You might need a new anode rod in your hot water tank.
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

This might come a bit late, but are these sinks properly equipped with p-traps?

Quote Originally Posted by gbecki49 View Post
    This might come a bit late, but are these sinks properly equipped with p-traps?
    I thought p Traps also.
    2009 kitchen remodel warrior

asbolute black granite
    Antique White Hidden Content
    Travertine 18" x 18" floor tiles.
    It looks Great!!

I own a decontamination company and get calls about this from time-to-time. Pressure builds inside plumbing systems from liquid flows and from gasses (VOCs) produced by microorganisms. The vent pipes sticking up from the roofs of most homes allow air/gas pressure to escape. Some systems do not have vent pipes. A system may have an auto valve that allows air to enter the plumbing system but not to escape. An auto valve is not a vent. The route of least resistance can be through the P-trap, even if full of water. The odor can be transient. The volatile organic compounds and microorganisms can cause occupants to become ill. The solution is to install vent pipes from the plumbing system to outdoors. Where a dwelling continues to cause building-related symptoms, decontamination may be necessary. If so, be sure to use a person/company that has a pesticide applicators license and is certified to use chemicals to kill microorganisms in buildings.

Exclamation Re: sewage smell from bathroom sink

I had that problem in my wife's bathroom. I ignored it for a long time, untill brushing my teeth one day. I was leaning over the sink (my bathroom) to rince my mouth when it hit me. A stinky oder. It was comeing from the overflow that's molded into the sink. That little hole near the top. After thourly cleaning it out, the oders dissapeared, both bathrooms. Good luck.