+ Reply to Thread

Default Tiles in Outlets

I just put up my kitchen backsplash but unfortunately didn't realize the tiles cover part of the outlet until now. The attached photos shows how the metal prongs at the bottom of the outlet are underneath the tile. Can anyone offer a solution? Can I cut the tile without entirely removing it from the wall? Should I cut off the metal prongs?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1195.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	2836  

Default Re: Tiles in Outlets

Completely remove the screws holding the receptacle to the box. You should then be able to wiggle the recept out. You will probably need longer screws (6-32) to reattach the recept and have it flush with the face of the tile.

there's two ways you can go about this. #1 would be to turn off the circuit breaker, remove the screws that hold the outlet in place, use a pair of wire cutters and clip the outler out then use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull out the tabs if you can. then you can replace the outlet. the good news is that you didn't cover up the screws that hold the outlet in place. #2 would be to remove the grout around the tile above and below the outlet, remove the tiles, remove the outlet then tile it up and replace the outlet.

As that's located on a kitchen counter, typically that should be GFI protected anyway. If not part of a GFI circuit you may want to replace that outlet with a GFI one.

Or at least make sure the outlet is ganged into another GFI...
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Got it done. Thanks!