+ Reply to Thread

Default Restoring 4 season porch to original

Has anyone out there restored a four season porch back to its original, outdoor, state? My husband and I are looking to purchase a local bungalow but are put off by the front porch being enclosed by windows. Not great to lose the square footage, but really want the house to look like it once did (which is going to be a labor of love

If anyone is familiar with this sort of project, could you please let me know I'm not crazy? A photo of the house is attached. If you know of a similar style house with an unenclosed porch, please reply with a photo. Thank you!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030559.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	2648  

Wink Re: Restoring 4 season porch to original

I think you need to evaluate the monetary loss you will experience in your homes value by reversing the enclosed porch. I took a screened in porch at my home and enclosed it added windows and a door to increase the value of the home. If you want an open air type setting put a screened in deck in the back of your home. It won't be original but you will have the best of both worlds, not to mention, you will again increase the value of your home. Just some food for thought.

Calcats

Default Re: Restoring 4 season porch to original

I agree with Calcats about the monetary issue. Another issue is structural. The dormer on the structure in the photo you attached doesn't appear to be original. I have handled jobs like this for people who want to go back to original that have turned into major tear downs to either remove or reduce the size of the dormer addition or do major structural reinforcement because the original porch structure will not adequately support the addition. So to Calcats point about losing money, you'd want to assess how much less the house will be worth with the loss of that much square footage, and also the additional expenses of both reconstruction of the original porch, plus the original wall, windows and insulation on the first floor and a second floor tear down to remove or reduce the size of the dormer addition. If you're okay with reducing the square footage/assessed value of your home, got a bunch of inheritance money to burn through to undo all the work the grandparents did to seal up the porch in the first place, and aren't worried about losing your job half way through the project, you're not crazy in the least.