+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 200 amp service

Default 200 amp service

I have 200 amp service and I am planning on adding a bathroom that will contain it's own electric hot water heater. My breaker box is full (short box), what size of breaker do I need for the hot water heater and how do I know if I have enough service left to run a subpanel for the new addition?

Default Re: 200 amp service

Probably a two pole 30A breaker for the water heater.

You can run a load calculation for the house.

Here is a calculator. Just follow the directions.

http://www.electricalknowledge.com/SFDLoadCalc.asp

(The calcs are for electricians, But, I think easy enough to understand. Please let me know a question or problem with them.)
    Last edited by NEC; 07-28-2009 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pana8432 View Post
    I have 200 amp service and I am planning on adding a bathroom that will contain it's own electric hot water heater. My breaker box is full (short box), what size of breaker do I need for the hot water heater and how do I know if I have enough service left to run a subpanel for the new addition?
    In the commonwealth here {Pa.** you are allowed to add a 100 amp sub panel. Just wondering what you mean by a {short box**,though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    In the commonwealth here {Pa.** you are allowed to add a 100 amp sub panel. Just wondering what you mean by a {short box**,though.
    Guess less than 42 circuits........... 42 circuit requirement was lifted in the 2008 NEC. About time.

Thumbs up Re: 200 amp service

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Guess less than 42 circuits........... 42 circuit requirement was lifted in the 2008 NEC. About time.
    That was my thinking as well NEC. And also always wondered about reasoning pertaining to that in the code as well.