+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 200 amp service

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Springfield, IL
    Posts
    1

    Default 200 amp service

    I have 200 amp service and I am planning on adding a bathroom that will contain it's own electric hot water heater. My breaker box is full (short box), what size of breaker do I need for the hot water heater and how do I know if I have enough service left to run a subpanel for the new addition?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    693

    Default Re: 200 amp service

    Probably a two pole 30A breaker for the water heater.

    You can run a load calculation for the house.

    Here is a calculator. Just follow the directions.

    http://www.electricalknowledge.com/SFDLoadCalc.asp

    (The calcs are for electricians, But, I think easy enough to understand. Please let me know a question or problem with them.)
    Last edited by NEC; 07-28-2009 at 08:31 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shamokin, Pa.
    Posts
    645

    Default Re: 200 amp service

    Quote Originally Posted by pana8432 View Post
    I have 200 amp service and I am planning on adding a bathroom that will contain it's own electric hot water heater. My breaker box is full (short box), what size of breaker do I need for the hot water heater and how do I know if I have enough service left to run a subpanel for the new addition?
    In the commonwealth here {Pa.** you are allowed to add a 100 amp sub panel. Just wondering what you mean by a {short box**,though.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    693

    Default Re: 200 amp service

    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    In the commonwealth here {Pa.** you are allowed to add a 100 amp sub panel. Just wondering what you mean by a {short box**,though.
    Guess less than 42 circuits........... 42 circuit requirement was lifted in the 2008 NEC. About time.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shamokin, Pa.
    Posts
    645

    Thumbs up Re: 200 amp service

    Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Guess less than 42 circuits........... 42 circuit requirement was lifted in the 2008 NEC. About time.
    That was my thinking as well NEC. And also always wondered about reasoning pertaining to that in the code as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •