+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default My dogs killing my grass

Does anyone know any tricks about how to prevent dog urine from killing a lawn? I've got new brown spots every day.

Default Re: My dogs killing my grass

No, the only thing that will stop that is use the water hose and dilute it as soon as you can.

You might want to consider creating a certain area of the yard for the dog to use to -- kind of like a big outdoor litter box only it would be a big outdoor dog potty area. A former colleague of mine created a thing called a snout house. It is basically a frame (about 4' x 8') of treated timbers filled with a gravel material that drains away the liquid waste and makes it easier to pick up the solids waste. You will have to invest some time in training the dog to use it but it's either that or spend your time repairing your lawn.

I looked this up on the internet. Here's the address:
    There are more addresses to check out.

http://www.snouthouse.com/
    Last edited by SherryH; 06-09-2007 at 11:48 AM. Reason: fix a spelling error and delete extra copy of URL

Lightbulb Re: My dogs killing my grass

Ah-HA! Here's something I'm an expert on...dog pee! Just kidding. Anyway, my dog made brown spots all over the lawn when we first got him. We started giving him about 500 mg of vitamin C (the same tablets/powder available for human consumption), and within a few weeks to a month the brown spots were getting fewer and further between and now he's a three year old dog that hasn't left a brown spot for almost two years. Our dog is about 65-70 pounds. You may want to discuss with you vet how much you should give your dog.
    Last edited by petefritz; 06-18-2007 at 06:51 PM. Reason: revised

I have 2 neutered male dogs and have never had this problem. The grass is actually greener where they pee. They eat Purina One lamb & rice. So it might be dietary. The vitamin C supplement sounds interesting.

Or you might have a bad grub infestation that is actually causing the dead spots.

Quote Originally Posted by petefritz View Post
    Ah-HA! Here's something I'm an expert on...dog pee! Just kidding. Anyway, my dog made brown spots all over the lawn when we first got him. We started giving him about 500 mg of vitamin C (the same tablets/powder available for human consumption), and within a few weeks to a month the brown spots were getting fewer and further between and now he's a three year old dog that hasn't left a brown spot for almost two years. Our dog is about 65-70 pounds. You may want to discuss with you vet how much you should give your dog.
    I was told the same thing by my vet. She advised starting low, like 100 mg a day and slowly increasing, as it can cause diarrhea if increased too quickly.

Check out What To Do When Your Yard Is Bowser's Bathroom at thisoldhouse.com