+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulation...What to choose for my old house?

Please help.
    I have a 150 year old house that I am in the process of insulating after an Energy Audit found it seriously lacking in R-value. After removing the old lathe and plaster in two rooms, I have found a great difference between the "cavities" (a difference of inches!!!)
    I would like to know what product I should use to ensure I get the most even application of insulation in all rooms.(I am sure I will find the same discrepancies in all rooms)
    I have had two quotes, one for cellulose blown, and one for polyurethane spray (which is double the cost).
    What is the safest, most economical route to take. Fiberglass, rigid foam, cellulose, icynene, polyurethane...straw?
    Thank you TOH people for assisting me.
    Patriciam

Default Re: Insulation...What to choose for my old house?

Quote Originally Posted by Patriciam View Post
    Please help.
    I have a 150 year old house that I am in the process of insulating after an Energy Audit found it seriously lacking in R-value. After removing the old lathe and plaster in two rooms, I have found a great difference between the "cavities" (a difference of inches!!!)
    I would like to know what product I should use to ensure I get the most even application of insulation in all rooms.(I am sure I will find the same discrepancies in all rooms)
    I have had two quotes, one for cellulose blown, and one for polyurethane spray (which is double the cost).
    What is the safest, most economical route to take. Fiberglass, rigid foam, cellulose, icynene, polyurethane...straw?
    Thank you TOH people for assisting me.
    Patriciam

The most economical route is the easiest route. You mention you needed to removed the plaster wall to see the problem. I assume you do not want to do that to every room --- as that is going to get very expensive.

Your better option is to pump in some sort of insulation from the outside in (assuming you do not have brick or stucco exterior walls).

The cheapest solution will be a cellulose. The next is some sort of spray foam (there are many types; open cell, closed cell, open and closed, etc.). Open is generally cheaper, but expands more. Some of the hybrids (open/closed) will work very well too, however, and have less risk of blowing out your exterior siding or interior work. These are known as pour-in's, more or a gooey liquid.

My recommendation is to get a quote for the cellulose and one for the pour-in foam insulation (i.e. ICYNENE LD-CP-50 Pour Fill Formula). These will be your better options if you do not rip down walls.

If you plan on ripping down walls (interior or exterior) then fiberglass bat insulation is the cheapest --- not including your restoration costs.

Make sure who ever does your work uses an IR camera in the process of insulating your home. The problem with old homes is the wall cavities are not generally normal. It will require a lot more work.