+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is meant by square a wall using 1-2-3 method

Hi,
    Toilet and sink enclosure. I'm trying to erect a 5'x 7' wall using metal studs with no attachment to the ceiling. Side wall attachment, L shape side wall 40"W with a 24" pre-hung door.
    Can you fasten a pre-hung door to 2x4 metal studs and with what screws?

Thank You
    RDM

Default Re: What is meant by square a wall using 1-2-3 method

When using metal studs where ever I have door openings I install wood studs into the upper and lower metal plates. They slide in the same way the metal studs do.
    The 1-2-3 squaring method you're asking about? I use 3-4-5.
    Lay out a tape measure in the corner of the room you're making 3' and from one end of that in the corner come out 4'. The distance when square between the ends should be 5'. If not, adjust your plates.
    Not sure if this is what you're talking about.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Quote Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
    The 1-2-3 squaring method you're asking about? I use 3-4-5.
    Lay out a tape measure in the corner of the room you're making 3' and from one end of that in the corner come out 4'. The distance when square between the ends should be 5'. If not, adjust your plates.
    Not sure if this is what you're talking about.
    I was unsure of the reference myself. I remember it being called the rule of 3-4-5, or something like that. I use it all the time and the great thing is that it can be used in any size, just multiple each number equally (i.e., 6-8-10 or 9-12-15 etc) or change the measuring unit from feet to inches for smaller areas.

Andy thank you very much. Your explanation is what I needed to know.

RDM

Glad I could help. One other tip too is...just cause you're using metal studs don't get it in your head that, thats all you can use in those tracks. I like slipping wood into the tracks in varies strategic locations for nailers such as base moldings...etc etc.
    Another thing I like doing when doing a finished basement lets say is...I like using metal tracks on the floor and on the ceiling and using mostly wood "studs" rather than metal in a lot of cases. The metal tracks just make it go real quick cause you can lay your studs in with out fasteners untill they're mostly all set where you want them...then just shoot some screws through the metal tracks into the wood stud. the studs also don't have to be an exact measurement either cause you have so much play inside the tracks. This is all assuming nothings bearing any weight.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

If I might add a couple of points as well...

just be aware the steel studs normally found at home centers are very thin gauge ( around 25 gauge ) and like Andy mentioned use wood studs for the door opening not only for rigidity but it's also easier and stronger to attach the door framing and the door to.

Also use the appropriate screws when attaching the steel studs like the 1/2 no.8 pan head screws. The pan head secures better and the screws are threaded all the way to the head.

When attaching the sheet rock to steel studs used the drywall screws made for this ... they are self tapping types.

Be aware there is special considerations if you are running electrical through steel studs.

Other than that have fun.

Just a bit of input on the 1-2-3 question:

The previous posters are correct, it is actually 3-4-5 and it stems from that old Pythagorean theorem you learned in math class and then forgot:

A2 + B2 = C2 (read A squared plus B squared equals C squared)

This is for right triangles, the 2 sides squared (first) then summed equal the diagonal squared.

So 3*3 + 4*4 = 5*5 or

9 + 16 = 25

3-4-5 is used as as a reminder because it's easier to remember than all the rubbish I just mentioned above. Hope this helps someone.

no offense intended but for 25 guage metal studs do not use self taping screws it will not tighten up use sharp point screws for 25 ga or 20ga and self taping screws for heavier guage studs

havanagranite ... geez your right .
    I was thinking of those being used on the heavier gage seen at job sites.

no prob had a metal stud and drywall business (also did acc ceilings, plaster, and other misc work) for about 15 yrs. to much competition in this area so switched to cabinet and counter tops