+ Reply to Thread

Question Track Lighting: Low voltage vs Line voltage

Hello,
    I'm replacing the track lighting in my kitchen. The current system is low voltage, with a 300W transformer and six 50Watt halogen lamps on a 15 amp circuit. The transformer has failed twice in 20 months, so I'm going to a different brand. And I'd like to go to 8 lamps to get better coverage.
    I see products for both low voltage and line voltage lighting. I know that the low voltage systems require a transformer, while the line voltage products appears to run at 120v. Are there any advantages, or warnings, of using line voltage systems versus low-voltage?

Many thanks,
    John

Default Re: Track Lighting: Low voltage vs Line voltage

Low voltage systems have a few advantages - energy savings (30% - a low voltage 35W bulb puts out the same light as a 50W line voltage blub), The MR16 GX5.3 bulb is much more versatile than the MR16 GU10 bulb used in line voltage systems (you have more control over beam spread, color of light, etc.

Line voltage has one definitive advantage which you have identified - no transformer. The only thing you have to worry about is changing bulbs.

It all depends on how much control you want over the light in your kitchen. There are good quality low voltage systems out there, but you might have to pay a bit more for them. If you go line-voltage you don't worry about the transformer and have less control over light.

Smile Re: Track Lighting: Low voltage vs Line voltage

Thanks. I'll look into the line-voltage systems. I think Tech Lighting makes one.