+ Reply to Thread

Default 4 yr old AC having problems

We had a Trane XR11 air conditioning unit installed 4 years old by our HVAC guy. He previously sold us 2 furnaces as well. When one of his employees came to service it in May, we both noticed it was not cooling well. He sent someone out to inject it with refrigerant and it seemed to fix the problem. However, the problem returned last week. He came out to inspect (again) and told us we needed a new indoor evaporator coil. We were stunned because we assumed when he put in the ac and/or furnace he also put in a new evaporator coil.He did not, and he never mentioned that we needed one. Now he wants to come back, for $1000, and replace the old one so our AC will work again.
    Have we been "had"?

Default Re: 4 yr old AC having problems

Four years ago A/C Equipment was 10 Seer and new 13 Seer Equipment was just getting ready to come out. If your 10 seer condenser was being replaced with a 13 seer condenser then the Evap coil should also be replaced with a 13 seer coil, this will eliminate any operational problems and give the proper seer rating. If he found a problem with your 10 Condenser and replaced it with another 10 seer condenser it would have nothing to do with your Evap. Coil. Maybe he took a look at the coil and it looked OK at the time.

Thank you so much, Sten. Greatly appreciate your help.
    4 years ago the contractor installed an 11 Seer Trane condensing unit outdoors but did not replace evaporator coil indoors. Now he says we need new evaporator coil. Shouldn't that have been done 4 years ago also? At the time we assumed we were good-to-go with a new AC system, not just part of a system.

Unfortunately I wasn't there for the conversation so I don't know what the Contractor told you he was going to do. I also don't know what cond. the old coil was in, if it was cooling your home OK he may have thought he could save you some money. If he led you to believe that you were going to have a Brand New A/C System then yes, he should have changed the coil. Is the company that you used reputable, and have you asked around to see if what anyone else has heard about them, have you had any other problems with them? Either way like I said I wasn't there so I don't know what went on, Good Luck!!

Thank you so very much for your help. The contractor is here this very minute rectifying the situation and putting in a new coil! Your help was invaluable.

If you told the contractor that you wanted a "cheap" installation, I can see why he sold you just the condenser with the existing A-coil.
    Why he would sell a 11 SEER (vs a 10 SEER) with the existing coil is beyond me.
    We always like to sell new (matching) A-coils at the same time unless the people want to keep the price down.