+ Reply to Thread

Default A Curiosity..Plank Floors,2nd FL

Hi,

Today I had a contractor replace old,worn carpet on my second floor. What was underneath was plank,linoleum (sp) not hardwoods. This house was built between 1906-1914 and some of this period in this area have hardwoods on the second fl.........Is there an opinion/experience of why some older homes have hardwoods throughout while others don't? FWIW,there is hardwood on my first floor. Just not the second.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: A Curiosity..Plank Floors,2nd FL

Cost was the mitigating reason. The best flooring was used in the receiving areas such as parlors and dinning rooms to impress guests while cheaper material was used in the family only areas. Some times you will even find expensive wood flooring in the perimeter of a room while the area normally covered by rugs was done with cheaper flooring.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks Jack for your reply. That makes sense.

I don't like the carpet up there but don't want to spend a fortune on any flooring either. If you read this,do you have any suggestions to what's up there? Thanks again!!

If there is a closet in the room look in there, chances are the linoleum doesn't go into the closet. If it does the only way to know is to lift some of the linoleum.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Before "lifting" the lino read this:

http://www.rfci.com/files/pdf/RFCIRecommended9-04.pdf

You can safely remove a small corner to check. But wet it first.
    Last edited by Estaban; 08-18-2009 at 12:08 PM.