+ Reply to Thread

Default sharkbite connection system

Would you recommend using the sharkbite connection fittings (cash acme product) for the hot and cold water supply for a bathtub? The water supply lines, valves, etc. will be enclosed in the wall.

Default Re: sharkbite connection system

I know some guys on here will not agree with using them. I have used them in the past in a pinch and have had no problem at all with them. I have found upon reading about them they are rated for under ground use also. Just make sure your pipe is clean and no rough edges and that they slip on all they way.

I am a little too cautious and would not use them there.

I would rather take the time to solder those joints since they will be closed up in the wall. I have used them where they are exposed in the ceiling of our unfinished basement.

Cool Re: sharkbite connection system

I personally wouldn't use them there although they are rated for behind wall and underground use. I work at a plumbing supply house and we sell quite a few of them and I've seen some returned bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I personally wouldn't use them there although they are rated for behind wall and underground use. I work at a plumbing supply house and we sell quite a few of them and I've seen some returned bad.
    I can't disagree with your caution, since all mechanical devices have a small percentage of failures. On the other hand, what are the options? There are 5 or 6 other connection systems for pex and all require expensive ($500) tools and are very likely to fail if done improperly. I am assuming the OP had little experience with pex fittings and won't have the crimping tools or experience. I am not sure an access door is any benefit, since it is easy enough to cut the sheetrock and screw it back in the unlikely event of a failure. At least its not like copper, we get many rental houses that get the gas shut off in winter and the copper bursts in numerous walls. PEX won't burst that I have ever seen.