+ Reply to Thread

Default shower knob is turned off all the way but water still comes out of the shower.

shower knob is turned off all the way but water still comes out of the a shower. Is there a way to fix this problem without calling a plumber?

here are some links to pictures of the shower knob.

Red face Re: shower knob is turned off all the way but water still comes out of the shower.

I AM SORRY BUT I DON'T HAVE AN ANSWER BUT, I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM BUT MINE IS ONLY HOT OR COLD WATER..IT LOOKS SIMILAR, IF YOU FIND OUT LET ME KNOW, THANKS AND THE SAME WITH ME,, THANKS SUSAN

Default Re: shower knob is turned off all the way but water still comes out of the shower.

Hi,
    I'm not one of the local plumbing experts, but I've had experience with that in the past. The leak is usually caused by a problem in the faucet valve (it's the part that is behind the handle). There are 4 different types of valves, and I can't tell you any general info about how to fix yours until I know what type it is.

You probably just have a bad rubber O-ring, that or a rubber washer that presses up against a valve face is bad, causing water to seep past it even after it's turned off.

I can't identify what brand/model that is from the pictures, but you need to see if it says the brand name on it somewhere, and then go to their website and find your particular model for directions on how to remove/repair it. Second, depending on who the manufacturer is, it may have a warranty, so you could ship it to them, and they ship you back a new one, or a repaired assembly. Hope that helps.

Default Re: shower knob is turned off all the way but water still comes out of the shower.

It is the shower cartridge. You don't need a plumber if you have all the right tools. You need a allen wrench to take off the handle, A phillips screwdriver, needle nose pliers, and a cartridge puller. Just remember you have to turn off the water in the garage or at the street before you do this, because it is under pressure.

I am not a plumber either but also have had some experience with valves sort of like this. Mine was in the kitchen and not the bath tub but the principle is somewhat the same as you have an all in one valve. I like your pictures by the way and one of them was close enough that I could get the name off of the faucet. I think I found your manufacturer by doing a Yahoo search. Here is their web address http://www.calfaucets.com/product-display.asp?catid=55 . While they didn't have the exact model pictured that you have I am fairly certain it is their faucet by what I have seen If not maybe they can point you in the right direction.
    Also try plumbing supply places as they will sell parts to anyone and not just plumbers and probably know the exact parts you need. As someone said it is probably a cartridge that needs replacing and I have to agree with that as I saw Richard Trethewey replace a faucet almost exactly like yours but it was a different color. Another person said washers and in this type of faucet there are not washers but o rings that are made of a washer like material that sometimes needs to be replaced.
    If you just can't find any parts for your faucet then I would suggest you buy either a Delta or Moen faucet for a replacement as those two manufacturers have the easiest to find parts and make the most faucets. Good luck to you!
    Last edited by hedgeclippers; 09-09-2009 at 03:37 AM. Reason: spelling