+ Reply to Thread

Default darkening wood in bathroom

4 months ago... I installed new hardwood floors on concrete downstairs (including bathroom) in my "new" old house. I had a plumber check the toilet to make sure it was re-installed correctly and not leaking. I am now seeing darkening on seams surrounding toilet and around all edges of shower. The shower was not replaced, so it very well could be leaking too. I appreciate any advice you have...including where to start searching for problem(s), and will the wood lighten again once dry?

Default Re: darkening wood in bathroom

Just FYI as a follow-up....
    The wood I chose was bamboo which is extremely hard and doesn't soak up water very easily. I tested a piece by soaking it in water. You are right so far...it darkened where it touched the water, then after a week, it molded. I removed it from the water at that piont and it is so far still dark. I am amazed, however, that the wood didn't fully soak up the water...just the parts that were sitting in the puddle and just a bit more...not the whole piece. So it seems that the leak will have to be pretty serious to get this bamboo really messed up.

I had a plumber come out to check the toilet (and shower)... we couldn't find a leak... I think it is just my 4 year old boy missing the toilet and darkening the seams in the toilet area.

As for the shower, I had a slow, slow drain about a month ago, and we think it overflowed the pan a couple times before the drain was cleared. Also, I recaulked the whole pan again. Hopefully that will stop any furthur problems.