+ Reply to Thread

Default Walkway Advice - Drainage and Erosion

I would like to put a walkway down the side yard which does not get much sun and has been a muddy mess since we moved in two years ago. We have a huge problem with erosion as the yard slopes down toward the back of the yard (that backs up to a creek). I have tried researching pavers and can't find anything that provides enough information. Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of pavers I should use for the 2.5 ft wide, 60 ft long walkway that wouldn't wash away and would let the water continue to drain downhill? I am anticipating planting a great deal of shade plants along the walkway to help with the erosion problem from that end. Any help or advice would really be appreciated!

Default Re: Walkway Advice - Drainage and Erosion

Oh, and a little additional information... you can tell they have already tried grass and it washed away and I can currently see the landscaping cloth that they had put down before we purchased.

Default Re: Walkway Advice - Drainage and Erosion

Jessica,

Any photos you can take & post of the muddy area would be helpful---it's free, & instructions for posting photos are elsewhere on this website.

It sounds from reading your post that your main problem is not selecting pavers (which would cost a fortune for this length of walkway), but poor drainage.

There's no need to pave the entire walkway if you can somehow solve the poor drainage problem---and despite the erosion you have now, planting grass seed is the least expensive way to control erosion, providing there is enough downward tilt to the landscape, so the water now accumulating on your walkway thus flows downhill to the creek.

As you drive along the freeway in your car, notice how the Highway Dept. has planted grass along the freeway side slopes to prevent erosion---there is usually some plastic drain pipe buried just below the surface near the highway to run off the water if the slopes have a low pitch to them.

In stubborn spots where water pools a small stretch of stone (preferably free field stones laying about on your property), sometimes combined with low-cost 4" PVC drain pipe that channels the water down to a lower level, is all that's needed to solve the problem.

As an initial step, avoid doing any digging or spending your money for pavers, drain pipe, dry wells, or any other products until you have a good idea of how to cure the problem by spending the LEAST AMOUNT of money and doing the LEAST AMOUNT of work---first read the articles at the sites below to understand how water drains away from a muddy site (or collects)---and go out there when it next rains to study how the water accumulates & pools---there are usually simple, inexpensive ways to get the water flowing away from the area where it is not wanted, to a lower point (downhill flow of water by gravity).

Many times, just a few inexpensive feet of thin, perforated drainage piping buried just below the walkway surface, covered with gravel or crushed stone, wrapped in landscape fabric, is all it takes to divert the water away from the site---and the piping is completely invisible.

I'm also a strong believer in going around all parts of your property to collect field stones (no larger than a foot or so)---all they need is one side that is relatively flat---the stone is buried with the flat side up to make a little "landing" a few feet long in those stubborn spots that remain muddy after a rain.

If you need some drainage piping, HD/Lowe's carry schedule 35 thin-walled PVC piping & strip drain attachements for yard applications that are low-cost (don't buy the schedule 40, which is much thicker & costs 5 times as much).

Also Google items such as "site drainage issues","lawn drainage system", "backyard drainage","landscape drainage", dry wells", etc. to get additional sites--- some are below.

http://www.growinglifestyle.com/article/so/a332383.html
    http://www.easydigging.com/Drainage/how_to.html
    http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/18297/
    http://www.askthebuilder.com/175_Dry...ch_Drain.shtml
    Last edited by Dobbs; 07-22-2009 at 10:34 AM.