+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulating open walls in a southern brick veneer

I am remodeling portions of my 1960-something brick veneer ranch in Atlanta. None of the exterior walls are currently insulated. I am removing the old damaged paneling and sheet rock in three rooms to add fiberglass batts. The walls are 2x4 with 1x10 boards nailed diagonally on the outside. Beyond this is a felt wrap and then the brick veneer. You can see into the soffit through the spaces between the 1x10s at the top of the wall. The felt wrap does not go all the way up. I want to eliminate as much air infiltration as possible before I insulate, but I do not want to create moisture problems. Should I caulk the cracks between the 1x10 boards? Or do nothing but install the fiberglass batts and let the wall "breath"? This all seemed so simple until I started reading about moisture problems that can be introduced to older houses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0502.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	2638  

Default Re: Insulating open walls in a southern brick veneer

Howdy consider installing the insullation then put plastic over the entire wall and caulk along the top and along the floor then install the drywall. This is a vapor and moisture barrier- the plastic .