+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy latex over oil mistake - help!

I am looking for advice on how to fix my mistake or some assurance that I can live with it for awhile. I put two coats of latex on bathroom walls believing I was painting over latex. I did not prime at all, only washed with TSP. However, when removing the tape, it became clear I had painted over oil. Now what do I do? Do I strip it (how do you do that?!) and start over, live with it until it starts to peel off (I think that is what will happen - am I right?) or just finish the touch ups and not worry about it? Thanks!

Default Re: latex over oil mistake - help!

That does help. I also just talked to someone else who had a similar experience with the way the paint peeled off along with the tape - maybe I'm over reacting and didn't screw up. Or maybe she did! Anyway, thank you!

EVH,

When painting latex over hard, slick oil paint, it is definitely advisable to prime to assure adhesion. The primer may be tinted toward the finish color to avoid having to do two finish coats due to significant color change.

There are some new generation acrylic paints on the market which can be put directly over oil. Behr's Ultra line is one such.

You obviously have modest adhesion, but it might not give you further problems if you simply leave it alone. You can always try to manually strip it if it does not work out. I would try touching up the areas that got bared when the tape was pulled. If you tape again during touch-up, be sure to pull the tape before before it dries and forms an elastic film which will strip off the slick wall.

Also, when using TSP, make sure you rinse the TSP off well.

In the future, test for latex by rubbing it with denatured alcohol or Goof-Off. Both will rapidly soften the latex film, but not touch oil paint.

EVH,

Should you decide to try to strip the paint, try using a single edge razor blade in a razor holder held at a low angle. Often the paint will zip right of the slick oil paint.You might try using a 100 grit paper in conjunction with the razor. The oil paint will powder up readily, the latex will tend to clog your sandpaper. I would then follow up with an 100% acrylic based primer/undercoater.

Smile Re: latex over oil mistake - help!

ORDJEN,
    Thank you for the information - I didn't know there was a test to determine the original paint type. And I SWEAR the TSP box said I didn't have to rinse (I'm going to go take another look!) I think I actually did use the paint you recommended and one of the reasons I didn't worry about priming was because the salesman told me I didn't have to! So, I think with your assurances I will just touch up and stop worrying about it. Thanks so much! EVH

EVH,

Make sure you were really using TSP and not "TSP Substitute". The substitue generally does not call for rinsing. TSP is banned in some locations because the phosphates get into the watershed and cause algae growth. Phosphates have also been removed from laundry detergents in many areas for the same reason.

Also, acrylic paint adhesion increases over time with the curing process. One more reason not to prematurely panic.