+ Reply to Thread

Default Old Cement bed still good?

I am putting in a new bathroom floor and have started chipping out the old ceramic tiles. They were laid on a 2" cement bed. I am using my air chisel to knock out the tiles. I am hoping to lay new tile on top of the old cement bed, but have some concerns regarding the integrity of the bed after all of the old tile demo.
    The bed seems sturdy, but I wonder if anyone out there has gone through this.
    Use the old bed, or tear it all out and use cement board?

Default Re: Old Cement bed still good?

You can reuse the cement bed as long as you haven't cracked it during the tile removal process. If the bed is 2" thick and you take it out completely, it will be better and more stable to lay a new cement bed than to fill the floor with shim stock and top with cement board.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the quick reply, A.
    No cracks-yet. Still have half to go. I'm going to proceed with the intention of using the old bed. If I see a problem, I'll tear it all out.
    Some small break-aways on the perimeter that I'll fill. Nothing in any of the main traffic areas.
    thanks again!

Here's a twist. I got the tiles off the bed, but found out that there was a leak near the tub and I have some subfloor, sill and wall stud replacement to do.
    1) Can I take the existing cement bed out, back beyond where I will be replacing the sub floor (say, to the next floor joist line) and only put in a new bed up to the old? Or, does the bed need to be one piece?
    2) Since this is a 2 room bathroom with a single door connecting the two rooms, what about taking the old out to the middle of the door passage, put a new bed up to that. Keep the old bed in the second room and use some kind of expansion joint in the doorway at the bed seam?
    3)I'm really trying to not tear up and re-bed all of it. If that's the only right way though... that's the way I'll go.
    Last edited by charder; 07-22-2009 at 02:31 PM.

Your second idea is the best bet.

Where new meets old the bed is going to crack, and that crack will telegraph through the tile as well. I would even go as far as to cut the bed with a diamond saw so that the remaining tile and bed are unaffected by the demolition hammer.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Sorry to beat this horse, but how about a flat sill piece in the doorway? There are marble ones at a closet and in the entry door off the hallway.
    Perhaps I could find a match, or replace all. How are they held down?

Marble would be fine for the sill as long as it's a close enough match to other marble sills near it. Another good reason to use a sill is if the existing tile can't be matched exactly for the new floor, in this case it might be a better idea to go with a different color altogether and decorate the two bathrooms differently for a nice contrast between them.

I'm not a tile expert, however I believe that marble is laid the same as standard tile, so the mud bed base with thinset will do the trick.