+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: squeaky floor

Question squeaky floor

We recently had an engineered wood floating floor (not glued) installed over concrete. There are several areas that are really noisy and driving me crazy! New cabinets installed so I don't think taking it up is an option. Anything I can do to fix it? Thanks

Default Re: squeaky floor

Hoqwdy, did you mastic it to the floor or install with a thin foam under it or just on the concrete?

It was installed over a thin foam with plastic.

It's not a floating floor if you anchor it by installing cabinets on top of it. Wood floors expand and contract. You prevented that from happening. I don't know if that is part of the problem, but it could cause problems in the future.

If the subfloor was not smooth and flat, the flooring could be getting compressed into the low spots when you walk on it. This may be causing the noise. It will also cause wear on the tongue and grooves of the flooring, weakening their ability to secure the edges. It might even cause the tongues to break off or split.

Were there installation instructions with the flooring? Was there some floor preparation involved prior to installation? Did the installers follow the recommended procedures of the manufacturer? Did the installer know you were planning on cabinets and not suggest they go in first?

R'gards,

Jim

Engineered flooring is made up of plywood with a think veneer top layer... it's not going to expand/contract like real wood, so that shouldn't be an issue.

A 'floating floor' to me means that sleepers were installed on the concrete slab, then a plywood subfloor, felt paper of some kind then the wood floor... unless you're using the term 'floating floor' to mean something different.

I have to ask, you made a point of saying it wasn't glued... was gluing it down (assuming in addition to nails/staples) recommended by the flooring manufacture? I would assume, since engineered flooring isn't subjected to the same moisture related expansion/contraction that real wood experiences, that gluing it down would eliminate the many complaints of squeaks and pops that often is commonplace with a solid wood floor.

they did leave an expansion gap and the noise started before the cabinets went in. The installer told us that he thought it would be fine when the cabinets were installed. I guess at this point my question is more what to do to correct it. I have the same problem in rooms that do not have cabinets like halls and bedroom.

It is a Home Legend floor from Home Depot and it is Hand sc****d Maple. thanks so much for even taking the time to think about this for me. I really appreciate it.

In order for a wood floor to squeak the individual boards must be loose and rubbing against each other... which leads me to my next question... How often was it nailed or stapled down? And what does the manufacture recommend in regards to fasteners and their spacing?

At this point without taking up a large area you may need to put a couple of strategically placed nails through the face to eliminate the movement.

thanks for the info. It was not stapled or nailed anywhere that I know of. The installer is coming back end of the week so I will see what he has to say.

Howdy the floating floor you had installed needs 1/4" space around all walls to allow for expansion. Some must have every joint glued together otherwise they make noise. Have you read the instructions from the manufacturer? If not get it from the installer and see what was required.