+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wall studs

Default wall studs

hi, I'm new at this and I hope I get it right the first time. how far apart are wall studs sopose to be? I am wanting to hang some shelves that I got from Home Depo. and they are very heavy. I know they should be mounted in the studs. How far apart should they be or is there standerd.Thank you.

Default Re: wall studs

Standard stud spacing is 16 inches, center to center, however there are a number of factors that can diminish this, such as wall length, perpendicularly adjoining walls, windows, and doors. Structural elements, such as support columns, headers, and blocking may also be within a wall cavity. Don't worry, it's perfectly alright to install shelving into all these things, just mentioning them so that should you find a spacing pattern different less than 16 inches you'll know why.

The easiest method of finding a stud is with a stud finder, an electronic device that senses density. The little magnet type that are designed to find the drywall fasteners really don't work. Another method is to lightly tap the surface of the wall with a hammer and listen to the knocking sound. A hollow sound would indicate an empty cavity, a deeper thump will indicate a stud. You say that you'll be hanging heavy shelving which means you'll want to be sure to get your fasteners into the meat of the stud. To find the centerline, without a stud finder, use a small diameter nail to carefully probe the wall in the area where you know a stud to be, and under where a shelf support will be located.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

Default Re: wall studs

Another trick if there is an electrical outlet or switch in the vicinity, is take off the cover plate & see which side is nailed to a stud. Then every 16" usually will be the edge of a stud. Measure over another 3/4" to be in the center of the stud.
    A small nail through the drywall will verify the stud location.
    The tapping method mentioned works pretty well too, when you get the hang of it.