+ Reply to Thread

Default GFCI ground question

Greetings all,

I am trying to replace an old combo switch/outlet for a GFCI combo. (It serves the kitchen light and runs power to another outlet near the sink.)

Upon removing the old receptacle I noticed there was no grounding wire even though the old one had a 3-pronged outlet.

Should I run a grounding wire to the metal box from the GFCI unit even though there wasn't one there originally?

Default Re: GFCI ground question

If there is no ground conductor from the box to the service panel then attaching a ground wire from the GFCI wouldn't have any benefit..
    Personally I wouldn't if the box isn't grounded to the service panel since it could give someone else the wrong impression thinking that is grounded ..... much the same way as putting on a 3 prong receptacle on an ungrounded circuit.
    Last edited by canuk; 07-17-2009 at 10:46 PM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

If you can, run a new homerun from the panel to the service point. Proper grounding should always be used. However! The GFI monitors the neutral so it will work, if an inspector uses his tester it will indicate an open ground.

Unfortunately there is no requirement to add the ground unless you are re-wiring, there is however a requirement that a sticker should be on the face of the GFCI stating that it is not grounded. If you wish to add ground you can do a home run wire from the panel but as has been stated many times before on this forum if you are going to that trouble why not run new cable with ground wire. Just adding a jumper to the metal box will not ground the outlet unless the box is properly grounded.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb