+ Reply to Thread

Default Active duty deploying should I Winterize my townhome

I am active duty military preparing to deploy for 6 months in August. I will be leaving a vacant townhome in Southern VA in the winter months. What should I do? Leave heat on and hope for the best or something else.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	farrcroft.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	2635  

Default Re: Active duty deploying should I Winterize my townhome

Howdy, Consider having the main water supply shut off and blow the pipes with compressed air drain water heater and put antifreeze - for RVs in all the plumbing drains and a little into the dishwasher and washing machine too. This is pickeling the plumbing so no freeze damage. You can then turn the heat down to 60 if old thermostate,some do not turn on if set below 60, if new thermostate 50 is ok. This will keep the house until you return. You might have a freind check it once a week. Let local police know you will be gone and ask them to drive by occasionally.
    Could leave a light or several an a radio on a timer too.

First let me thank you for your service.
    I would winterize unless you have a neighbor you can trust with looking after the place. It doesn't get that cold in VA so I would turn the gas off also if you are in a storm prone area.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Don't forget to empty any refrigerators and freezers. i just got back from vacation and found my freezer had been off.
    6 months would have meant a new freezer as well as a big mess.
    Be safe.