+ Reply to Thread

Question HELP! Flat tire on a True Temper wheelbarrow

I had used a foot pump to inflate the tire in our wheelbarrow; which I have hanging on the wall, so as to not let the air escape! Within an hour it was flat! I can now press the tire together and see the inside of the rim! Should I go to a filling station and use the air pump there or a compressor?
    STLOUIEY
    "The best house is an old house." "You can't fix stupid!"

Default Re: HELP! Flat tire on a True Temper wheelbarrow

Depends on what the problem is. If it's tubeless and it won't hold a bead, then a faster/stronger air compressor may be needed to fill the tire and get it to seat on the bead.

If the tire has a leak, then it doesn't matter what kind of compressor you use, it's going to continue to go flat until the leak is repaired, either by replacing the stem, the tire, or installing an inner tube.

Lastly, if it's a bead problem and you just can't quite get enough airflow to blow the tire out and start pressurizing, then take a cord or cinch strap and wrap it around the diameter of the tire, then tighten down so that you bulge the tire beads to the rim and can start pressurizing the tire. Once you start getting some air in it, then you can release the strap and continue filling.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

A tubeless tire on a wheelbarrow? Your kidding me, right?

Fix the flat and fix the tube.

Convince yourself that you are not really that helpless and then go deal with it.
    Last edited by NEC; 07-17-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    A tubeless tire on a wheelbarrow? Your kidding me, right?.
    Nope! Both of my wheelbarrows (all steel contractor grade ) came with tubeless tires. When they found a nail it was cheaper and easier to install a tube rather than replace the tire or try to use one of those plugging things to fix the hole.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I've had my run ins with wheelbarrow tires and they have all been tubeless... I don't understand why they don't put solid tires on these things... 1) even fully loaded it would roll better and 2) you wouldn't have to deal with flats! On occasion I've had luck with the fix-a-flat stuff you get in those arasol cans.

I got a new True Temper wheelbarrow last year with a solid tire, it rolls great and I won't ever have to fix another flat tire.
    Slow The Flow

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Nope! Both of my wheelbarrows (all steel contractor grade ) came with tubeless tires. When they found a nail it was cheaper and easier to install a tube rather than replace the tire or try to use one of those plugging things to fix the hole.
    Man, I must be sooooooooooo behind the times. LOL :

Does not surprise me.......... And, I don't mind which means I must be an old fart.........

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Man, I must be sooooooooooo behind the times. LOL :

Does not surprise me.......... And, I don't mind which means I must be an old fart.........
    It's nothing that hasn't been done for the last 20+ years. Solid rubber tires are available as well. The last construction company I worked for had them on their barrows because we did a lot of roof strip-offs and demolition and were always running over nails and sharp debris. I gotta say, it's nice not having to worry about flats nor ever having to maintain the tire pressure. The way the barrows get used around here, their loaded up with something heavy before we know the tire is low! LOL

I put on a solid rubber tire a couple of years ago. I believe I purchased it from Home Depot, but not sure.

I also just replaced the handles to metal as well. Now I'm pretty much all set.