+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: romex 12/3

Default romex 12/3

I'm hard wiring a 4 Ft Fluorescent Light with a switch. I have some left over 12/3 romex, can you use 12/3 but not use the other hot wire(red) and still be within code?(NJ code) When I do work around my house I like to have everything to code.
    Thank you

Sean

Default Re: romex 12/3

You are kidding! Right?

Busted!!! You got me, it was a joke!! This is what I do all day.LoL,LOL. Ass. It's a simple question about a code.

You're a funny guy. I'll grant you that. Maybe there is a code in (NJ) that says, "Thou shall not have any unused conductors in a cable assembly."

Who knows?........... Anyone familiar with (NJ) code?

I don't know NJ code, but having an extra unused conductor in a box has never been an issue that I'm aware of. Just make sure that the unused wire is capped on each end and there should be no problems. If it is ever inspected and questioned, tell them you were planning on needing a second switch at that location.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I don't know NJ code, but having an extra unused conductor in a box has never been an issue that I'm aware of. Just make sure that the unused wire is capped on each end and there should be no problems. If it is ever inspected and questioned, tell them you were planning on needing a second switch at that location.
    Might not capacitive inductance result causing the unused wire to explode?

One wonders.

Spruce thanks for the appropriate response. As for you NEC “A sarcastic person has a superiority complex that can be cured only by the honesty of humility.”Lawrence G. Lovasik.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer88 View Post
    Spruce thanks for the appropriate response. As for you NEC “A sarcastic person has a superiority complex that can be cured only by the honesty of humility.”Lawrence G. Lovasik.
    Well, Okay............ Just hope and pray good luck to you should you decide to move ahead with your project of not using that red wire......... Answered with all the humidity of honesty. Or maybe all the honesty of humidity.

Should you decide to move ahead, I pray no inductive capacitance will happen. You may think about a (NJ) permit for your project.

Inductive capacitance does not give a whit about humidity........... Lawrence Welk played a heck of an accordian. not sure if it plays here or not.

“A sarcastic person has a superiority complex that can be cured only by the honesty of humility.”Lawrence G. Lovasik.