+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1907.. what?

Default 1906.. what?

Our home was built in 1906 in Omaha NE. We have no idea what style it is or if it is just a "mutt" of some kind. We would appreciate the help so we can figure out how the layout is supposed to be.

Originally our home had 2 front doors once you got inside the porch. One clear to the left and one clear to the right. We walled in the left one. The house is 2 stories and has a wrap around front porch.

Thank you!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84/208226711.jpg/
    Last edited by bailey.cmb; 04-10-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Default Re: 1907.. what?

Or if anyone could direct us where to go to find out that would be great. Thanks!

Not sure the official style. But it's a version of a common foursquare/arts&crafts style. Hip roof, large front porch that was likely enclosed later on. I'm guessing it's brick or stucco under the siding, but it could have been clapboard too.

I'm guessing your floor plan is in quadrants with 3 or 4 bedroom upstairs, and a kitchen, dining, room, living room and sitting room or family room downstairs.

There are hundreds of these from the same period in my area.

Whoever built it was liekly working class or a smaller merchant. The expensive elements like windows are very small and hte overall size is moderate.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

It looks like a Georga Four Square. A long hall in the center and two rooms on each side. The porch was probably open and enclosed at a later date. Does the second door go directly into a room? My home built in 1912 is this style. One room has its own exterior door. I have been told this is the room for the grandparents.

I like the clean lines of that house! Nice!

Thanks for the help. The first room you walk into is indeed a room not a hall. There is no hallway. The pattern of layout is not in a square at all. To the left of the entry room is the dining room and beyond that is a large room with fire place. Still hoping to get some help with what the entry room is supposed to be. It's about 12 by 8 or so.
    Last edited by bailey.cmb; 08-04-2012 at 09:56 AM.

great shape, enjoy that house!