+ Reply to Thread

Question Water Pressure Variation

Hi, All:

Over the last year or so, I've noticed something that has given me some concern.

After a shower, running the dishwasher or the laundry/washing machine, when I turn on the water at the kitchen sink or other sink faucet in the house, the water pressure is really high for approximately 5 seconds, then goes back to what I would consider normal pressure.

The house was built in 1997. We have a pressure relief tank/bladder (blue air pressure tank/bladder) on the oil fired forced hot water furnace, and also one on the Amtrol water heater tank. The water heater tank is connected to the boiler, but is located in another mechanical room in the basement (same floor as the boiler).

I have checked both air pressure tanks/bladders by knocking on them with a wrench. Someone once told me that if you knock the top and bottom there will be a different distinctive sound for each. Both of the pressure regulator tanks have distinctive sounds between the bottom and top of each individual tank, leading me to believe they have not failed and are doing their job -- although not being an expert, I may be wrong here.

My questions are: (1) Could one of the tanks be faulty and need replacing? (2) Both tanks have their original stickers that state the PSI of the tank. Can I simply put an air pressure guage -- like a tire guage -- on the bottom nipple and check pressure? If low/high, is it simply a matter of hooking up my compressor to add more air or just release some air to get to the PSI printed on the tank lable? (3) Is this temporary increase in pressure any big deal?

I know I can buy a pressure guage to hook to a spigot somewhere, but I was hoping to avoid spending any money if it isn't necessary.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Tim

Default Re: Water Pressure Variation

Anyone?

Question Re: Water Pressure Variation

You are not the only one with this problem. I'm going thru that same situation. The only difference is I don't have a boiler. I've asked the same question all over with no answer.