+ Reply to Thread

Default Can paint be removed from hinges without removing from the door?

I am preparing to paint our exterior front door. Previous owner painted over the hinges. I would normally remove the hinges from the door and soak them to remove the paint, but the screws are stripped and I don't think the hinges can be removed without damaging the door.
    Is there a way to remove the paint from the hinges while they are still on the door?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Can paint be removed from hinges without removing from the door?

Paintergal,

I would first give a good try at trying to get those screws out. If it is a slot screw, use the blade of the screw driver to sc**** old paint out of the slot. Then place the screw driver blade in the slot firmly and hit the head of the screwdriver firmly with a hammer. Then try to first twist the screw inward to break its grip to the wood. If the grip is broken, you might still be able to back out the screws. Should this fail, there are tools available at hardware stores which will grab the head of the screw and back it out.
    The same procedure can be used with Phillips headed screws. Line up the cross slots and bang the screws inward to set the slots firmly into the slots. Twist inward first, then try to back them out.

Can you strip them in place? Sure, but you will have to carefully protect the old finish on the door if you are not intending to re-finish it. Use plenty of double layered masking tape and mask everything with plastic or sturdy paper. Use a heavy bodied paste type stripper.

Thanks so much for the info.
    Actually, the door is painted, along with the hinges. I'm planning to paint the door a different color. Just didn't want to paint the hinges also!
    One set of screws looks like a star, so I'm not sure if I have that type of screwdriver. Need to check with my husband.

Wink Re: Can paint be removed from hinges without removing from the door?

You need to use what is called an "easy out" to remove the screws. Go to your hardware store or supply house and get a set of 3 or 4 different sizes, Approx. $10.00. You first drill the center of the screw and then put the easy out into the hole and use pliers or small socket (depending how it is made) to turn out the screws. Then put new screws in place.

Calcats

It is common for painted screws to be stripped out because the paint prevents the screwdriver from seating in the top of the screw. As Ordjen suggests, clean out the top of the screw, in this case with a star shaped head use a utility knife, then using the proper screwdriver remove the screw. If the head is completely stripped, then the easy out as Calcats suggests is in order. The nice thing about all this is that you should be able to pull the pin on the hinge and lay the door over on it's edge to make the work easier.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!