+ Reply to Thread

Default lights within curtain pole

hi all,

I'm renovating my old flat and i have a 6 meter long curtain pole...or better curtain box... underneath there is a rail for the curtain and inside there are 4 fluorescent tubes hidden. I want to remove the old curtain box, and put a proper curtain pole (ok is a challenge 6 meters long with 3 brackets..) and of course along with the curtain box the lights will be removed as well. My problem is that there is no provision for light ceiling and also there are 3 wall lights but they don't provide enough light.

Is there anything you could suggest in constructing or putting above the new curtain pole in order to provide light to the room?

Here is a pic of the actual curtain pole...

http://www.realityfriends.com/forum/...urtainpole.JPG

Thanks for your help

Default Re: lights within curtain pole

If it were mine I would not replace the light cove/valance but I would replace the old fluorescent fixtures and figure out a combination of lengths that would butt end to end and wall to wall to get rid of the dark spots.

Id probably roll with a T-5 HO ballast and lamp combination which would increase light output as well.

As far as the sconces go, replace them too.

There you could roll with some multi-lamp CF fixtures which could easily quadruple the light output of the existing fixtures.

If you really want to get rid of the valance and depending on how the airing is run, you could install can or other inset light fixtures in the soffit above the valance.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

thanks for your replies and help...

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    If you really want to get rid of the valance and depending on how the airing is run, you could install can or other inset light fixtures in the soffit above the valance.
    Jack
    sorry but i'm not familiar with can or inset lights fixtures, would you have any examples so i can see..

also if i get rid of the valance i won't be having a soffit anymore to fit the above lights...?

Can light Inset lights are fixtures the are built into the ceiling or inset in the ceiling, They can be light boxes that use halogen, florescent, or incandescent bulbs. The soffit is the lowered boxed in area of the ceiling above the valance. It looks gray in the photo.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

ok...i think i'm getting you now...

effectively i need to build some kind of a long box in which i can but can lights facing the floor..above the new curtain pole...

at the moment the wall is meeting the ceiling so there is no way i can dig into the ceiling and put the lights...

i think i might just change the tubes above..and use dimmable ones...sounds like too much trouble changing the valance and putting new lighting...