+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Bath Fitter or DIY Tile and epoxy???

My husband and I are wanting to re-do our ONLY shower (tub combo) in the house. We have looked into Bath Fitter and Re-Bath which were both quoted around 3500-3800. To me, that is just rediculous for a giant piece of plastic.

I've been considering just remodeling the tub/shower wall completely. Just epoxying the tub white, and ripping out the old walls and putting up cement board with new tile over it.
    The only problem is, I think there may be a chance of some old water damage behind the tile that is up right now. If we did one of the Bath Fitter type companies, anything they find, they fix at no extra cost...

I feel stuck. I don't know what would be a better decision. My husband and his dad would be the ones doing the work if we do it ourselves and are very handy guys who have re-done the kitchen etc.

Any advice???

Cleveland, Ohio

Default Re: Bath Fitter or DIY Tile and epoxy???

DIY, but use 1/2" cement board, THINSET (not mastic), and epoxy grout. 3800 is way too high. 1500 in materials and a weekend of labor and it will look like a million bucks!!!

Default Re: Bath Fitter or DIY Tile and epoxy???

Just ending up re-doing my bath. We completey guted it put back all new sheetrock and hardiboard in the shower just paint and tile now. do it yourself bet they would find nothing just cover it all up problem will be there down the road. Like Mike Holmes says if you are going to do it do it right.