+ Reply to Thread

Default need help venting a porch

hi, my house is pretty old, over a 100 yrs old in fact. I recently had a new roof installed and they guys said they could fix my sagging porch. It's a small side porch, not enclosed, and the boards were all replaced for the floor. I used to have a lattice that went along the front from the floor to ground and that was replaced. Since I wasn't home when they did the replacement, I came home to find they used pressure treated wood to make a one-piece "skirt" from ground to floor touching on all sides. I don't have a picture but the porch is surrounded by the house walls on both sides and the wall and door at the back, kind of a U shape and the open part is where you walk off the porch. there's an overhang over the whole porch. After many days of rain, the floor buckled, they'd used a tongue and groove flooring. I was thinking of putting in some type of vent, like a louver covered vent in the skirt to let air under the flooring. I pulled up one of the buckled pieces to trim it to put it back with a looser fit, it was very snug, but haven't yet. do you think the vent will be enough? or, did it just buckle because of the snug fit and not because no air was getting in? I'll appreciate any advice. thanks!

Default Re: need help venting a porch

well, venting under the deck is a good idea but I don't think its going to solve your problems. Wood is naturally going to absorb moisture and expand and contract. Not sure I would have chosen the t&g material in that type of environment. Unless proper drainage and it's fastened by some sort of method that allows for wood movement.