+ Reply to Thread

Default Old House Attic insulating questions

Hello,

I have a 1 3/4 story cape. The attic space, which will have a ceiling height of about about 4 1/2 will be the loft for my son's bed. I have installed a ridge vent, rafter channels (which I ran up to the vent because there are no collar ties), and sofit vents, I have insulated between the rafters and installed a vapor barrier over the insulation. My question is, (Unless you want to add anything I forgot)is, should I insulate the floor? I haven't laid it down yet and I am getting different opinions from what I have been reading.

Thanks

In addition: There is no heat on the second floor but since I heat with wood and there are large grates in the 1st floor ceilings, the second floor stays quite warm in the winter even though it can get very cold in New Hampshire. There is a 3ft x 8ft opening that serves as an entrance to the attic. Half of the attic will be for storage and the other half is the bed loft.

Default Re: Old House Attic insulating questions

Should you insulate the floor? That depends on the purpose. If the purpose is for heat, then there's no point in insulating the floor unless the bottom side of the floor is outside your living space (and exposed to uncomfortable temperatures). The point is, insulate around the space you want to live in comfortably. Protect against moisture problems by having a vapor barrier on the warm side of the insulation. If, however, your purpose is to reduce the transfer of sound from one living space to another, then insulating the floor would serve a purpose. If you would want to have significantly different temperatures in different living spaces, then insulate between them, again with the vapor barrier on the warmer side.

Default Re: Old House Attic insulating questions

Quote Originally Posted by Rand View Post
    Should you insulate the floor? That depends on the purpose. If the purpose is for heat, then there's no point in insulating the floor unless the bottom side of the floor is outside your living space (and exposed to uncomfortable temperatures). The point is, insulate around the space you want to live in comfortably. Protect against moisture problems by having a vapor barrier on the warm side of the insulation. If, however, your purpose is to reduce the transfer of sound from one living space to another, then insulating the floor would serve a purpose. If you would want to have significantly different temperatures in different living spaces, then insulate between them, again with the vapor barrier on the warmer side.
    You don't need or want to apply vapor barrier between interior spaces.
    The humidty within the living space should freely pass through the different rooms.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush