+ Reply to Thread

Question Dryer tumbles w/o heat. Fuse in home is ok

My dryer tumbles but no heat. My wife said the dryer stayed on all night and the clothes still were damp. The fuse in my circuit breaker is ok(both fuses). What can I do to fix this?

Default Re: Dryer tumbles w/o heat. Fuse in home is ok

Either a faulty sensor (check these first), or dead element (if electric) is likely the culprit. Take it apart and check for continuity to see whats not working. You will need a parts explosion diagram to help.

Shaun

Could also be a thermal cutout needs to be replaced. Troubleshooting this typically requires a wiring diagram and an ohmmeter (or continuity tester).

If the vent pipe becomes clogged with lint, the dryer can overheat and trip a thermal cutout. As they get older, they might not reset automatically. While you've got the dryer apart, make sure all the air passages from the lint trap through the blower and out the exhaust are all clear of lint. Then check the vent pipe from the laundry room to the outside and clean it as needed.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Guessing this might be an electric dryer.

As previously mentioned the element or thermal cutoff may be faulty.
    Another common problem I've found with electric dryers ..... the wires going to those items will over the years become over heated and corroded. They eventually break off from the crimp connectors. If so ..... it's fairly easy to strip back the wire to good copper ... attach a new crimp connector and you're good to go.

Depending on the make and age of the appliance you may find the wiring schematic ( drawing ) attached to the rear panel or in the owner's manual.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Mine did this exact same thing a couple years ago. I found one of the prongs on the cord had broke internally.