+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Waterloo, Onatrio Canada

    Unhappy dirty ole fireplace clean out

    bought a 120 year ole home in Waterloo Ontario. While cleaning out basement (prepping for office area), uncovered a hole in the wall. I reached in and up -bad mistake: found myself COVERED with old soot, brick remnants, crap etc etc. it's a disgusting and seemingly unending deluge! The chimney and fireplace is long gong btw. Should I:
    cover it up and forget about it? or
    suck it up and clean it out? (health risks??)

    thanks gang!!


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Fayette County, Ohio

    Default Re: dirty ole fireplace clean out

    If the chimney is gone and there is no chance of water (rain) getting in, I would just seal it up. If the chimney is still there, I would clean it out, it can hold a lot of moisture and eventually cause the base of the chimney to start to deteriorate.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts