+ Reply to Thread

Default DIY exterior faucet installation? Need advice

My best friend lives in a modular home and has no exterior faucet. She has put in some lovely beds for perennial flowers, but needs a faucet for watering them. I am guessing that she probably has galvanized pipes. Though I am up to snuff on copper and PVC, I have never done much with galvanized plumbing. This should not be an overwhelming task, but I would sure appreciate some advice!

Our plan is to install an access hatch somewhere on her house skirting that will make the shut off easily accessible for winterizing. I would like to Tee off the main house line there and install a shut off right at the Tee. Then she can open the hatch, turn off the water, and open the faucet at the end of the run to drain it for winter each fall. The biggest hitch is that the shut off needs to be something that can be easily reached without having to crawl under the house. Ideally, I would like to switch to 3/4" PVC after the shut off for ease of installation and expense. This line would only be in use during warm months so I am not sure of the necessity of using copper or other product.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? We deeply appreciate your input. This is a project that is well within my DIY skillset, however, her husband is sort of a loose cannon. If I mess up his plumbing, I may need to relocate! LOL

Thanks
    Jennie
    Last edited by JennieinMT; 07-09-2009 at 02:33 AM. Reason: notification 'on'

Default Re: DIY exterior faucet installation? Need advice

Howdy, consider using pex pip an advantage of it is its adapter to any type of existing water supply pipe. It is made to allow freeze and thaw before failure. A shut off with a drain back fitting at the splice is a good idea and a anti- freeze pet cock, faucet, is recessed 21'' into the house and allows the 20" to drain when the hose removed . If you use pex it allows itself to weaved like wire, possibly connecting it to where there is existing access for shut off in the winter would be better then cutting an access ....

Default Re: DIY exterior faucet installation? Need advice

Put the shut off inside, run PEX out to a yard hydrant When winter is approaching turn the water off and open the hydrant part way. The self draining feature will drain the hydrant and the line as long as the run is down hill to the hydrant base.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb