+ Reply to Thread

Default Switching N-1th Receptacle w/Switch at End of Run

Hello all,

I'm in the process of rewiring a bedroom and would like to switch the bottom plug of a duplex receptacle. The switch will be at the end of the run of the circuit. There are n receptacles in the run and the one I want switch is the n-1 receptacle. I've seen diagrams on how to switch the nth receptacle when the switch is at the run but need some confirmation on switching the n-1th receptacle. I believe I would need a 3 wire from the n-1th to the nth receptacle, then another 3 wire from the nth to the switch. Is this correct? Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Chris

Default Re: Switching N-1th Receptacle w/Switch at End of Run

'nth"? What does that mean?

Ah! Silly me. Took a few.

Simply use the Nth wire back to the mth and then use a rtrh to connect. This will create an xzvd switching pattern but should not be a problem.

You can switch any receptacle or any part of a receptacle at any point along the circuit. All you need to do is run the power to said receptacle through the switch first.

Please post back more detail as to what you're trying to do so that we may guide you with a little more accuracy to your needs and situation.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If I understand your description correctly, you would only need a two wire w/ ground between the switch and n-1th and between the n and n-1th receptacles.

I assume the n-2nd is feeding the n-1th box with power. First make sure there is no power on that circuit. Second, break the tab on the hot (brass colored) screw terminal at the n-1th receptacle.

Pigtail from the hot coming into the n-1th box to the top hot terminal and to the nth box and also to the switch. Return from the switch to the bottom hot screw on the n-1th receptacle. Mark the white wire going to/from the switch with black electrical tape to indicate it will be a switched hot leg for future reference.

Pigtail the neutral coming into the n-1th box to the n-1th receptacles neutral screws (leave tab in place) and to the nth receptacle. Pigtail all grounds together and to the receptacles and switch.

Hope this makes sense and my assumption is correct.
    Last edited by bp21901; 06-29-2009 at 08:43 AM.

Great! Thanks, bp21901. That's exactly what I was driving at. Sorry to those who were confused by the mathematical jargon.

Regards,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZ View Post
    I knew you were into mathematics as soon as I read the title.
    Typically I run 14-3 w/ground to all the recepts. I use the black and white to feed the unswitched ones and the red and white for those on a switch. You only need one white to a split recpt. of course. The power goes to B&W. The switch is on 14-2 w/ground, and is between the black and red, with the black being tied into the white to the switch, and the black from the switch ties to the red.
    I left out all the n-'s for those who slept through the math classes.
    Although a little more costly, running 3 wire is a good idea especially in a room that you forsee changing the furniture layout. So down the road can just rewire those receptacles so they are activited by the switch. Nice idea!