+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Main electrical panel

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Howdy, JLM my point about code requiring larger panels was not clear. I meant code requiring many more circuits is making the 200 amp panels more of the norm the 100 amp panels. If you'll read the original post the panel with a sub is maxed out..... So changing out the 100 amp panel with a 40 slot seimans 200 amp panel and 200 amp meter socket is a fast fix which wills allows future electrical expansion easily...
    i mention seimans because it's breakers are so much less pricey then others panels
    Dude, You need to learn how to spell..........

i mention seimans because it's breakers are so much less pricey then others panels
    Other than the misspelling, misinformation just chaps my butt……..
    Siemens breakers are so much cheaper? That is BS.
    From my local HD for a single pole 20 amp breaker:
    SqD $3.25
    GE $3.45
    Siemens $3.47

Folks that spew for the sake of spew bother me. You either know or you do not. Why the BS?
    Last edited by NEC; 07-11-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Howdy, poor spelling is just it.
    Well seimens breakers when compared for the whole panel in my purchasing are less costly. Plus the panel packages that include several breakers added to the overall cost made it my best pick. Seimens outstanding life saving products and makes curcit breakers.

So much nonsense , so little help to the poster. Back to the facts- concerned full panel and wanting to add more in the future not a spelling lesson.

Seimens outstanding life saving products and makes curcit breakers.

So much nonsense , so little help to the poster. Back to the facts- concerned full panel and wanting to add more in the future not a spelling lesson.

Dude? Nonsense? You are busting me! Your post made little or no sense at all.

My point is that few homes need 200 amp service although it is the norm with new building. An upgrade my not be needed. To determine if it is needed a load calculation needs to be performed. Just because you add a lot more circuits, some not actually needed as a separate circuit, doesn't mean you are using over 100 amps at any time. You can have a 20 amp circuit feeding two ceiling lights but that circuit will not likely draw over 2 amps. You can run home runs on every outlet and light in the house, that would be a lot of circuits but would not increase usage.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

jlm, i think you hit the nail on the head. 200 amp is the norm. but 100 is typically sufficient. i just put a 200 amp service in for my buddy the other day and didnt charge him a dime, but material alone added up to over 850 dollars. now if you have to pay labor, im guessing your looking at a 2 grand bill give or take a couple hundred. now if you can get by with throwing on a sub panel for around a hundred bucks, depending on what you do, i think its a smarter alternative.

I just want to throw this out there for Mr. Miller. there is a law in electricity called ohm's law. Basically the wattage equals the voltage times the amperage. Amperage and voltage being inversly related. Hence if your appliance draws 10 amps @ 120 volts, at 240 it willonly draw 5 amps. Either way your total wattage will be a constant 1,200. And most electrical bills I've seen are based on Kwh. The one thing which may increase your total kwh is the 120 volt heaters may be less effeciant and therefore take longer to bring the water temp up. Back to the main topic in these parts it's not unheard of to install a metersocket with a main breaker contained within it. It is perfectly legal to have a 100 amp rated meterstack/ disconnect, feeding a 200 amp rated MLO panel. You get the 42 ckt panel enclusure on a 100 amp service. This only is a practical option if you have a definite load calculation. I personally wouldn't sell this option because the labor portion is equal to installing a 200 amp service. And I typically find square- d homeline breakers to be the lowest price. Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by wirenuts29; 07-14-2009 at 04:09 PM.

Howdy wirenut29, Great information thanks.

Not common in these parts though. I would always wire using 200 amp specs though out. Plan for the future, man.