+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Main electrical panel

I'm purchasing a new house and there is a 100 amp main line with a sub panel. The home inspector told me it was maxed out. There is a dryer (can be switched to gas), a stove, a heat pump, and an AC compressor. I'm wondering if theses large appliances' functioning may be affected due to the amount of power being used at once. Are there any other concerns, other than the inability to add anything, like that longed for hot tub!

Default Re: Main electrical panel

Just a guess but the AC compressor is probably also the heat pump. Without knowing the draw of the individual units it's hard to say but a guess would be that you are drawing about 60 amps when all of them are on at the same time. That's not likely to cause a problem and it is just as likely that they won't all be on at the same time. If you are concerned you could update to a 200 amp panel and service or add circuits by replacing breakers with double breakers.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Just a guess but the AC compressor is probably also the heat pump. Without knowing the draw of the individual units it's hard to say but a guess would be that you are drawing about 60 amps when all of them are on at the same time. That's not likely to cause a problem and it is just as likely that they won't all be on at the same time. If you are concerned you could update to a 200 amp panel and service or add circuits by replacing breakers with double breakers.
    Jack
    I agree with the 200 amp service upgrade.
    But I really never like installing mini breakers, though I have from time to time.

i wouldnt be concerned about having a 100 amp panel one bit! back in the day they got by with 60 amps. now we have more efficient devices.. the only people that really want a 200 amp panel are those who dont know the difference!!! now if i were to build a new house, id put a 200 in just for that reason.. but you will be fine with a 100 amps

Howdy have a electrician come and look at your existing panel & sub an tell you about the homes currant load usage and the compassity in use and available.

The hot tub can get one that is 110 verses 220 so the load is less but cost is about $10 more per month in utility costs if 110 verses 220

100 amp panels are being replaced with 200 because of all the additional items we have in homes and code requirements of having so many more circuits, mostly in kitchens, then 20 years. Consider checking out a basic wiring book and learning and computing the electrical usage of your home and compare it to the electrical service .. surprisingly it is easy to figure out what you use in your home.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post

The hot tub can get one that is 110 verses 220 so the load is less but cost is about $10 more per month in utility costs if 110 verses 220

you dont get billed by what voltage your using. you get billed by the wattage (voltage x amps). typically the hot tubs that are 110 are gonna be your two person hot tub.. and the bigger ones are gonna be 220 volt. now that statement about costing more is half true becuase you will most likely be drawing more watts on a larger tub. they have a bigger heater, more jets.

Howdy, our 220 or 110 hot tub sat6 was $10 more per month in electrical costs wired for the 110.... your point is little.
    However your idea that appliances are more efficiant so smart guys have smaller panels implied is bogus....
    Them people with new fangeledd items like tv, stero, spas, hair dryers, dishwashers, disposals, furnaces and owee air conditioners need bigger panels. But yes a small home with out allot of load 100 amp panel plenty .

Hum this question arising from a home inspection and notation of a 100 amp panel with a sub panel sounds like they just might has a little load more then what their potential growing needs are.

But heck you be sure and keep your 60 amp panel with your efficient newer appliances.. ya sure good lcuk.

Unless a home if full electric, that includes electric heat, a 100 amp service is generally more than adequate. The need for a bigger service because of code requirements to have so many more circuits is bogus. You can have 30-20 amp circuits on a 100 amp panel because it is unlikely you will ever have them all loaded to capacity at one time. The number of breakers and their total rating has nothing to do with actual load or the service needed. I doubt a home inspector is going to even do load calculations he is more likely going to put down what he sees in other houses or has on a crib sheet than base it on actual needs.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Unless a home if full electric, that includes electric heat, a 100 amp service is generally more than adequate. The need for a bigger service because of code requirements to have so many more circuits is bogus. You can have 30-20 amp circuits on a 100 amp panel because it is unlikely you will ever have them all loaded to capacity at one time. The number of breakers and their total rating has nothing to do with actual load or the service needed. I doubt a home inspector is going to even do load calculations he is more likely going to put down what he sees in other houses or has on a crib sheet than base it on actual needs.
    Jack
    I do agree with your post.
    I still would consider installing no less that a 200 amp service.
    Can't remember the last time I did install a 100 amp service.

Howdy, JLM my point about code requiring larger panels was not clear. I meant code requiring many more circuits is making the 200 amp panels more of the norm the 100 amp panels. If you'll read the original post the panel with a sub is maxed out..... So changing out the 100 amp panel with a 40 slot seimans 200 amp panel and 200 amp meter socket is a fast fix which wills allows future electrical expansion easily...
    i mention seimans because it's breakers are so much less pricey then others panels