+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drippy Faucets

Hybrid View

Default Drippy Faucets

Over the last 3 years, I had several faucets and showers start dripping. I made it a point to go through the house and change out the rubber washers in them, which at the time stopped the dripping. I figured this would solve the problem for a few years. This spring (April) I installed a water softener (no water softener previously - had hard water) and it's working great. However several of my faucets have started dripping again. Could this be caused by the conversion from hard water to soft water?

Default Re: Drippy Faucets

The more likely culprit is high water pressure. Buy a water pressure gauge that attaches to your outside faucet or washing machine connection (it's called hose thread or garden hose thread) and see what you get. Anything over 80 pounds is to high and would require the installation of a pressure-reducing valve.

Shaun

Thank you very much for the tip...Wife is on the way to lowes now to buy the gauge.

Actually the water softener in line would lower the pressure slightly. The hard water, perhaps acidic, may have deteriorated the rubber washers or mineral deposits on the seat may have made them rough causing excessive wear. I would recommend removing and cleaning or preferably replacing the seats and washer.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb