+ Reply to Thread

Default blown in insulation

I have two 90 year old two flats with balloon construction and lathe and plaster interior walls. The exterior walls are stucco and vinyl siding. I want to insulate the walls to increase the energy efficiency. I'm planning to do it myself using blown in insulation. Can I do this from inside the units? What is the technique for cutting through lathe and plaster without compromising the integrity of the walls? How do I close the walls when I'm done insulating? Should I keep the plugs from cutting the holes? Help. Thanks

Default Re: blown in insulation

This is not a do it yourself project, if you put too much insulation in the walls you could push the plaster off the walls, too little insulation and it won't do much good, i would get some bids from someone like Masco.
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

Default Re: blown in insulation

Howdy , check in the attic and see if the top of your walls are platted or open mine are open i will blow in cellulose from the top. one potential problem is that possible air gaps but it beast drilling at least 2 holes in every stud bay on all exterior walls to blow in other wise. So do you want to patch stucco or plaster or drop it from the top? Regarding the plugs stucco and plaster will not cut neat reusable plugs but will require repairs...