+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Best tool for the job?

Hi All

I have to remove a section of baseboard molding in the middle of a wall. What's the best tool to make a nice sharp cut at either end with minimal damage to the plaster wall? Would a tow-kick saw work?

Cruiser

Default Re: Best tool for the job?

Sounds like a job for the Fein Multimaster or a similar tool by Dremel, etc.
    Proud to be suburban free.

Thanks KC
    Must mean the tool has a little saw blade on it? Ever use one? Madame Cruiser never objects to new tools if it solves a problem.

cruiser

Hi J

Thanks for the reply. Pricey isn't much of an issue IF the tool does a few things no other can. Do you have any experience with stripping paint with a Dremel or Fein? Dear Wife is tackling our new old house and needs some power assistance fer sure.

Cruiser

You can check out the Fein here http://www.fein.de/fein-multimaster/us/en/main/ Rockwell makes a clone of the Fein but doesn't have the tool-less blade change, the Dremel here http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pa...?pid=Multi-Max it's a light duty version and can be picked up at most big box stores.

The units can be used for detail sanding but for large scale paint removal I use a heat gun and scrapper followed by cleanup with a chemical paint remover.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

My grandfather owns the Fein and we used it to do a lot of stuff on my house. I had some wood rot under my back door and we had to make a nice neat slice in the stucco, through the wire mesh, then change the blade to a saw blade and go through some wood to remove a chunk of rotted sill. It's an amazing tool, but yes very pricey. Like others said, the quality shows. It's HEAVY and feels very solid, well machined. Blade changes are a breeze. If you're just getting started in reno and have a lot to do, it might pay to get the Fein as opposed to an occasional use which a knock off will work fine for you.
    Proud to be suburban free.