+ Reply to Thread

Default Removed pool, now what?

We removed an aboveground pool that was installed on a sloping lot. When installed, the high side of the hill was cut into, and the soil graded for the bottom was mixed with large washed stone and sand, and used to level the low end of the slope. This created a "retaining wall" that just went around the pool. Now there's a beautiful sand circle, all ready for the installation of a flat stone patio.

Do we need to make a "real" retaining wall? We're going to use plant material to deal with the cut in the high side of the slope and add some stairs, but will water draining through the site (instead of being covered by the pool), gradually destroy the soil wall on the low side? Thanks!!!

Smile Re: Removed pool, now what?

I am no expert on this but do have some knowledge of pool removal as we had an in ground pool that we filled in.
    In some ways you are luckier than we were as we still have the metal retaining wall in the ground as it would have cost us more to have it removed.
    I also have some knowledge of sloping lawns as when our pool was put in they put a hill of dirt up against our pool on one side to keep everything in place. I know the first thing they wanted to do was place sod on the slope to prevent soil erosion. Then we had to make sure we watered the sod every day for about a week for a few minutes. Our slope isn't too bad and not being able to see how your yard looks I can't say myself whether a retaining wall would be in order.
    It really depends on a lot of different factors such as if there is a driveway nearby or perhaps a building like a shed that could get damaged by the eroding soil(a good place for termites to live.) If no buildings or driveway is nearby there are other factors involved such as safety. By that I mean is there a road nearby where a fence might need to go so no one will fall into the road.
    If you do want to buy stones for a retaining wall I would suggest you buy concrete stones made to look like real stone. You might have seen them on Hometime and I know Roger Cook used them on an Ask This Old House segment. They are really neat and lock together and would make a nice compliment to your pavers. As to what goes under the pavers sand is fine as far as I am concerned but know that Roger Cook likes to use stone dust when he can. I guess too some of this will depend on your budget and how much you can afford. I certainly wish you luck and hope you will post pictures.