+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: TOH Season DVD Sets?

I have joined the Discussion to add my voice, hoping to persuade the powers that be, to make DVDs available to UK viewers. It seems UK TV channels have no interest in showing TOH.
    The last project was the Concorde Cottage five or six years ago. NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

The same applies to TNYW (almost).

I would love to buy the shows on DVD, too. I record the shows on my DVR but I am missing a lot and would buy the DVDs.

I've been searching for copies of the Weston House project since it came out and would love if TOH would release these for purchase.

Thanks,
    Chris

Exclamation Re: TOH Season DVD Sets?

In the UK we are even further behind in TV showing of the episodes.

The last ones we seen on the Discovery Channel are The Bermuda House 2004 and The Carlisle Project 2004.

I hope some of the earlier series are released on DVD

I also wish to join the long list of people hoping that they would relase all the seasons of TOH on DVD. I wouldn't care if they did it all in tapes, I'd still buy then. The july/august issue of TOH magazine had a ad on page 12 about watching full seasons of TOH at thisoldhouse.com/shows. I can't seem to find this site. I'd accept any help finding this site.

Quote Originally Posted by liannagreyson View Post
    Very nice post with a ton of informative information. I really appreciate the fact that you approach these topics from a stand point of knowledge and information
    instead of the typical “I think” mentality that you see so much on the internet these days.
    I also wish to join the long list of people hoping that they would relase all the seasons of TOH on DVD. I wouldn't care if they did it all in tapes, I'd still buy then. The july/august issue of TOH magazine had a ad on page 12 about watching full seasons of TOH at thisoldhouse.com/shows. I can't seem to find this site. I'd accept any help finding this site.

Just registered so that I could post reply. I do not join forums often. It means a lot when I do so. In this case I have a few quick things to say that I hope reach the suits and egos.

I understand there may be copyright and royalty issues. If that is the case, it behooves Time Warner to initiate mediation. Here's why.

I grew up watching this show. Started at about age 7-8. I'm now 28 and just bought my first old house. TOH was one of the driving forces that created a strong desire to learn DIY techniques throughout youth and a passion to one day own my own old house. How many shows out there create this type of emotional connection? From talking with others I'm not unique in this regard. This isn't about sappy feelings - this is about money. Do you corporate folks out there want my cash? I'll shell out 50-75 bucks a season for TOH. This isn't Magnum PI or F-Troop - this is valuable (and fun) information that tens of thousands of homeowners want access to. The fact that this program has become a franchise unto itself should be evidence enough that sales will be brisk.

People here are talking abut swapping VHS tapes for Christ's sake. It's like rare Beatles demos or Grateful Dead Bootlegs. Do you see people going to these lengths to get Desperate Housewives? (of course they don't have to since they can walk over to Best Buy).

If Vila and Thomas and whomever else want cash, then pay up. Whatever their cut, Time Warner is still going to make a boatload.

I join the many fans on this thread who came here to purchase TOH on DVD. I grew up with the show, and even quit my desk-job to become a contractor because of the influence of this show. I have watched many of the cable versions of home improvement shows, and they just do not compare (perhaps because they often don't do the project right themselves), Ironically, they offer their episodes for purchase.

Within the past two years, I have begun recording the episodes in full 1080p format. I store them to DVD, and then categorize the episodes. However, I am missing many episodes, and I want to purchase them, from someone.

BOB THE CARTOONEST, shoot me a private message when your collection is burned to DVD. If PBS won't sell them to me, I'll buy them from you! You can email me at josh [at] graybrooke [dot] com.

I live in the UK.I did live in Florida for 2.5 years in the early 1990's and became an addict of TOH, Yankee Workshop and Hometime, all shown on Saterdays on PBS.

My wife and I have built (I used to be a brickie)4 homes for ourseves and eight spec ones.

When we came home I could get old TOH shows on Sky satellite on Discovery Home and Leisure.

No more. It stopped about three years ago.

I want to buy ALL seasons, provided they play over here or I can get a USA dvd playing machine (different systems).

HELP

John Lord

Angry Re: TOH Season DVD Sets?

I too would buy all of the seasons. I've been recording the PBS feed on DVDs and will eventually "edit" them to remove the ads at the beginning and end, then reassemble them on DVDs as complete seasons. I'm sure I can't sell them due to copyright laws, but who knows (I'm writing this to see if someone will call to tell me I can't do this, then I can ask them why they won't put the show on sale). I'm guessing the problems with selling the shows are 1) issues with the previous hosts wanting a cut, and 2) Time-Warner, whom I believe owns the show, doesn't think there's enough money in it for them. I emailed them once several years ago, but they don't respond. And they wonder why people are so cynical about corporated America.