+ Reply to Thread

Default Caring for aceraege lawns?

I have a 6.8 acres, but only maintain about 2 acres. The reason for only maintaining 2 acres is two-fold. One we jsut finaly got a riding mower after nearly 2 years in this house. Mowing with a manual push more was not fun, but a heck of a work out. The other issue is the previous owner we're told dumped a lot of trash in the yard, so as we cut brush down we have to be carefule because ther isn't jsut your typical trash, bu hunks of scrap metal and wood.

Anyway, my big issue is with what I am maintaining. I have bare patches, OK patches with some weeds, then nice patches with lush green grass. Oh, and plenty of gopher mounds, but that's another issue. I dream of a lawn that's full, mostly weed free (I'm realistic knowing that much lawn is going to have a few weeds), but green. As the seasons turn here I'm thinking of renting an airator (spelling is like horse shoes, close enough is good enough), and buing a few bags of seed, but I want to know if it's worth the effort or expense.

Any thoughts are apprechiated.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Default Re: Caring for aceraege lawns?

Hi MN Joe,

We have 5 1/2 acres and pretty well maintain all of it. We are in Orange County, NY. When doing any work outdoors, pick yourself up a cheap pair of golf shoes and wear them. This is an old trick to aerating your lawn. You know, killing 2 birds, one stone kind of thing. The other thing you can do is spread some top soil and throw seed over it. Not huge mounds, but just where you pull up some of your weeds. Weeds will also thrive in drought conditions so try and water, if possible. Hope it works and have a great day!

Default Re: Caring for aceraege lawns?

If you want a green lawn keep it mowed, watered, and fertilized. The mowing helps keeps the weeds from going to seed, the watering and fertilizer will keep the grass growing and eventually choke out the weeds. I have a 20HP JD lawn tractor for the little patches like 2 acres and an 85 HP JD tractor with rotary mower for the big mowing jobs.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb