+ Reply to Thread

Default How do I make drawers for my desk?

I have an awesome big tabletop on my desk (24in deep by 59in wide) that is grade to spread all my schoolbooks across while studying, but the problem with my desk is the lack of drawer space. The desk has a build in space on the right (2ft deep and 15inches wide) that consists of one small drawer and two large cubbies that are not accessible for everyday office supplies. How hard would it be to build drawers for this space and how would I go about doing this in a simple inexpensive way? The desk is not hard wood but made out of particleboard. What material would work best and what would be the easiest project to accomplish this goal of creating drawers?
    Thanks so much for your help. I hope to get this done in the next week or two so it is ready when I begin my graduate Physical Therapy classes.
    Thanks,
    Sarah

Default Re: How do I make drawers for my desk?

Sarah,

While building drawers is a good project, if you haven't done it before, it could be beyond the 2-week time limit and tool supply.

Another alturnative would be plastic drawers that are made for the craft market. Some are very flimsy and will not last -- but we have had good luck with those made by Iris (http://www.irisusainc.com/scrapbook.htm).

Bob H

Thanks Bob. I will look into that.
    btw how much do these plastic drawers cost? I could not find the price on the website.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

How long do you think it would take to build a drawer?

Staples has them -- and they run for $30-50, depending on the style and number of drawers.
    http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...&cmArea=SEARCH

Bob H

Another option would be to go to a store called The Container Store. I don't know if they have one in your area but you could go to their website and browse. They have a lot of things that could suffice and not too hard on the wallet too.

Mike