+ Reply to Thread

Question tankless water heater exhaust building codes

Does anyone know if the pipe coming out of your house has to be 4ft off the ground. Someone told me that. I am trying to pipe a new tankless out of my basement and want to go out the side wall but when it comes out it only is 2 ft off the ground. On ATOH Episode 713. They install a tankless and its exhaust when it came out of the house was too close to the furance and they had a kit (that I can't find info on) that elbowed up about 4ft and had a nice cover over it. Can someone give me advice?

Question Re: tankless water heater exhaust building codes

Thanks for the info. I'll have to call the city inspector and ask. If it comes out of my house at 2' and I run extension up to four feet I should be ok don't you think? Theres a window near there but at least 2' away. The extension doesn't have to be covered does it?

Default Re: tankless water heater exhaust building codes

The exhaust pipe that runs up on the outside of the house. I assume it wouldn't be hot to the touch by time it reached that far. Do you know if I have to get a dirct vent one if I'm installing it in the basement. I was looking at the indoor/ outdoor ones but didnt know if you can install them in a basement application with it taking in air from the basement area (furance in the area thing) Although it might not be as efficent it would cost less to run the extra piping.

Default Re: tankless water heater exhaust building codes

You should check with your local building officials on this one to be sure you get everything right. Can't say it is for all of the tankless water heaters but they generally take in fresh air from the outside so it would likely not be using air from your basement for combustion. From the ones I have seen they have a double PVC pipe so there is a pipe within a pipe. The exhaust goes through one pipe and the fresh air comes in through the other. I would think the biggest concern with placement like others have said is to be far enough away from windows and doors, intake vents, etc and to be above where your highest snow total would likely be.