+ Reply to Thread

Thread: house lifting

Default house lifting

my house was built in 1792. i need to lift it to put in a foundation and i can't find anyone in my area. any help would be appreciated. the house is located in central new hampshire.
    thanks geof

Default Re: house lifting

You could check with a house mover they would be able to lift the house.

Will you be doing the work? Sorta sounds like it because if you hire a masonary company they would be the people tha worry about all of that, not you.

I've actually done my own but I surely wouldn't recommend that to a DIY'er. I've done it in sections. I've used temporary girders under the floor joists...set my forms in with rebar and keyed and rebared each section into the next section but this isn't a job for a DIY'er. Call masons and let them do the entire project for you.
    There's masonary companies around here on Long Island that do what I did except they have large crews and do it all in one shot but also use temporary supports around the perimeters. Theres many way to go about a project like that from piers with lam beam girders to full foundation walls with a monoliptic pour....block walls...etc etc.
    Call a pro to do the entire job. Its too dangerous if you don't know what you're doing 100%. save your energies for other projects.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Cool Re: house lifting

Quote Originally Posted by geof View Post
    my house was built in 1792. i need to lift it to put in a foundation and i can't find anyone in my area. any help would be appreciated. the house is located in central new hampshire.
    thanks geof
    Please advise house type and construction preferably with pictures.
    Our new system of multiple hydraulic cylinders and floor re-inforcing may be your answer.
    We could license a local contractor for this project.
    A guideline for budget costs is around $250.00 per linear foot of house perimter.
    Stanford

Cool Re: house lifting

Pre-engineered system for house lifting.

This innovative system was designed to lift an all brick house circa 1925.
    The house had a low ceiling basement(6')and it was lifted approximately 34" to allow for installation of 3 courses of block(24")and set back down at the new elevation.
    We have a pictorial on the various steps.
    If you wish more info'please e-mail by return or call 416-524-3587.

Stanford

I lifted my 100-year-old house several years ago. It had an unfinished basement with a 6-ft ceiling that was the result of an obvious DIY lift in the 1940s, probably to upgrade from a root cellar. I always wondered why they stopped at that height. We lifted it another 2-1/2 ft and replaced the foundation and slab. Aside from the lift and heavy construction I've been doing the rest of the work myself, and have posted photos and commentary on my website:
    http://www.geekazon.com