+ Reply to Thread

Default paint first? trimwork first? floors first?

Hello,

I'm in analysis paralysis. My 15 year old house is in need of
    a refresh. Carpets have to go being replaced with something hard surface. White walls need color.
    The dining room and parlor share a wall. The interior designer says if I want to paint them two different colors, I need to take the front door trim to the ceiling.
    My question, doing this in the right order. Pull up the carpet first? Paint first? New trim first?

Thanks for any insights.

A.Airhead

Default Re: paint first? trimwork first? floors first?

Pull carpet, install trim, paint, install floor.

Pulling the carpet will allow the painting to be done all the way to the floor before the new flooring is installed. Installing any trim and doing any wall repair before paint. New paint covers new trim and wall patches. Installing flooring last will prevent the need for drop cloths or being overly careful. After the new floor is installed, you may have a little touch-up to do, no big deal.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: paint first? trimwork first? floors first?

Personally, the decision on doing the floor first or last depends on what type of floor. Full stock hardwood which is sanded, stained and varnished in place I would rather have completely done before I started painting. Such flooring raises alot of dust from sanding and the staining and varnishing inevitably causes some damage to the wall. The finished floor is easily protected with rosin paper and blue tape.

If a laminate type floor is used, it can be laid with minimal damage to a finished paint job.

If putting down baseboards and base shoe after the flooring is down, you will save alot of tedious cutting in if they are primed and first coated before being installed. A final facing off can be easily done after the installation.

Thumbs up Re: paint first? trimwork first? floors first?

Thanks for all the great direction. Now over to the trim board to ask a few questions there. Thanks again.

A.Airhead