+ Reply to Thread

Default Paint Formula Deconstruction

I purchased high quality California paint for the exterior of my home. When I painted a small part of the house, my wife, the designing goddess, did not like the color. She wants to go with something darker and has selected the darker paint chip. I thought, great, all I have to do is find out the formula of the first color and the formula of the second color and determine the difference, and then go to any paint store and have them only mix in the additional dye, not the whole formula.

Of course, my assumption is that since the new color is darker than the original, there will not be any dyes that require less than the original formula called for. If not, I know I can't achieve the color she wants and $180 of paint gets trashed.

But I figured it's worth a try to avert the wasted paint.

So - how do I find out paint formulas from the paint chips?

Thanks in advance.

Fredster4

Default Re: Paint Formula Deconstruction

Take the paint and the color chip to a reputable paint dealer such as Sherwin Williams or Kelly Moore. They will computer match the two samples and be able to come close. They will have the needed colorants and mix it for you probably for free, or they may charge a small fee for their time to do it, depends on the shop you go to and their mood.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Take the paint back where you bought it and see if they can tone it to match the sample. They should do it at no charge. But be warned it may look different once applied on a large area and SHMBO my change here mind again.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Take the paint back where you bought it and see if they can tone it to match the sample. They should do it at no charge. But be warned it may look different once applied on a large area and SHMBO may change her mind again.

Jack
    No doubt there. Great advice.

Smile Re: Paint Formula Deconstruction

Fredster,

At Home Depot, we keep a prominent sign on our paint desk,
    "Husbands Choosing Colors Must Have A Note From Their Wives" Guess you forgot your note!
    Seriously, we alter paint colors all the time at no additional charge. It makes for good customer relations.
    One thing to keep in mind is that paint can only be alterred within limits. If you are going to a significantly darker color, you cannot simply continue to add additional tint without limit. At some point the colorant will degrade the integrity of the paint. The colorants will start to float out. Also, the drying time will be affected. I know of no paint which takes more than a maximum of 14 or 15 ounces of tint per gallon. The liquid in which the pigments are held in suspesion is basically anti-freeze, - ethylene glycol.
    Darker colors are mixed in "deep base" paints. These bases will have less, or even no, white pigment in them. For example, you will never get to a black paint if you are starting from a white based paint. The lamp black tint will never be able to over come the white pigment.
    That being said, it is certainly worth trying to have your paint alterred.

And when you get done painting their are a few shrubs that need relocating and some furniture that just doesn't look quite right where it is.

Ideally...go back to where you got the paint.

It's important to use the same colorants if possible to have an exact progression of the color.
    * IF her desired color is on the same color-strip, you're OK to add colorant, UP TO the point where it transitions into a deeper tint-base.
    * If her color calls for a different tint-base...wellll...sorry, but you'll have to get new paint!
    * IF desired color is on a different strip entirely, same thing. You're buying new paint.

Sorry!

Faron