+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shower tiling

Default Shower tiling

I've been reading through a few posts, but haven't found exactly what I am looking for, but many similar questions.

Anyway, I have installed a new bathtub, and was about to install a tub surround when I decided to tile instead, since the floor would soon be tiled as well.

So I have the new tub in place and everything is plumbed in. I put up cement board over the studs that is from the tub height to around 12" or so from the ceiling. Originally before I decided on tile, I was in the process of filling all the seams with drywall mud. I want the tile to go from the tub to the ceiling.

My questions now are:

Am I able to tile over the drywall mud, or should I remove the mud and re fill with a different compound?

Is it ok to tile over the existing drywall? On a side note, someone decided at one time or other before we bought the house to paint the bathroom and one other room in oil base paint too.

What prep work do I need to do to the drywall before I tile over it?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather research this out and do the job once rather than have problems later and have to re-do it!

Thank you!

Default Re: Shower tiling

I think there's a different compound for joints on cement board. I know the tape is fiberglass or plastic.

I would think that tiling over the drywall wouldn't be a good idea but then again, I have drywall at that height of shower and well, either way it's going to get wet and become a health hazard.

Good luck

check Joe Ferrante's steps on the website: tiling instructions
    Debby in Oklahoma

Default Re: Shower tiling

You use thin-set as a joint compound and fiberglass tape. For wall tile, you can use thin-set or a mastic for setting the tiles.

I would not recommend going all the way to the ceiling with the tile. It is extremely rare for the ceiling to be perfectly plumb with the tub, end even more rare would be the distance to the ceiling being a perfect multiple of the height of the tiles. It would be best to stop at the highest whole tile you can get on the backer board, then fill the gap between the backer board and drywall with joint compound and then paint with a good waterproof paint.

If your backer board stands proud of the drywall, that is its mounted on top of drywall, there is a cap tile you can use. If you find that the number of tiles from the tub to the cap is not a whole number, you can always look at decorator tiles in bands to make adjustments.